Friday, December 18, 2009

talent

Today I was having lunch in Oldtown Eureka, when someone behind me said "is that a Leica?"

I had a 10-year old M6 today, a blackbody with the white lettering removed, intentionally a bit of a stealth camera. Most people don't notice it.

The young guy at the next table turned out to be a photographer prepping for an exhibit, carefully pondering where on the walls to place his work. He hasn't been at it long, five months, and has a cheap Nikon D60 with a slow zoom lens.

Then I heard the dreaded "will you take a look at my work?"

Fortunately, he's good. It's much easier when that happens. Nice shots of details from old abandoned industrial buildings, sharp, well exposed, good composition with good use of negative space and selective focus.

I spent more time talking to him than I really should have considering I was on deadline today. But it was worthwhile, I think. All he really needs is a little encouragement, a little confidence, a little more experience. And I made my close-of-business deadline with 30 minutes to spare anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment