Thursday, July 27, 2023


 Last weekend I attended a few events at Tamarkin Camera in Chicago. A reception, a photo walk, and an annual sales event. 

I was able to participate in only the beginning of the photo walk, a brief in-store presentation and then perhaps the first 45 minutes of a much longer near north side walk. Still, it was fun. And it's important to keep photography fun. Street photography for me is more about seeing than about taking photos, although on a good day both happen.

The next day I acquired a Leica IIIb, about 1938 vintage. The price was right because it hadn't been CLA'd, although everything works. Cosmetically it's less than perfect but not bad considering the age. A test roll is in progress after a couple of Main Street strolls. I don't expect to actually use this camera very often, the old screw-mount Barnack's are capable of quality images but they're not fast... this is more about enjoying the craftsmanship of an earlier age.

I'm back home after an almost three week trip, which was mostly work related. All the photo activity was at the end, and I brought only a digital body, flying with film is a hassle. About 30 images have been through post-production today, some from the photo walk and some from a pair of open space preserves. I did learn a couple of new tricks on this trip, one of them about digital. 

Also today I ordered some more film developer and a few more rolls of film. This coming weekend there's a local opportunity for some photos, and I'm planning to bring the M6.

No comments:

Post a Comment