Saturday, August 14, 2010

Ambiguous

Last night I finally got out for the first time this trip, finally was able to take a break from working.

First, a Naked Girls Reading performance, because a friend was up on stage and I'd promised her that I would be there. If a bit long at more than three hours, it was a fun performance, and diverse in more ways than one. Then, over to 1901 Belmont for an art opening, then over to Lucky Number. It wasn't all that late of an evening, I was in by 2 am.

I encountered various women who I have photographed, or who I've talked to about doing photos. Last night was pretty non committal, interest but no specific dates just yet. I could have pushed one or two into doing something this trip easily enough, yet chose not to. I found myself to be pretty indifferent, not really caring if or when they got in front of the camera. If it happens, great. If not, well I'm not feeling any desire to chase after them.

I did have fun taking a handful of on location shots of some of those same people, using the lights and blurred backgrounds and bokeh of wide open images in poorly lit clubs and performance spaces. In fact I might go and do some more of this tonight, perhaps at Exit.... The found-composition nature of this kind of work is closer to my journalism origins, and sometimes offers wonderful juxtapositions.

I did sell a print last night at the Naked Girls performance, an image of one of the participants. A member of the audience asked her about that photo, and she said "the photographer is here" and made the introductions. The randomness of it was far more important than the token amount of money, although the net result was that my evening out was paid for.

No comments:

Post a Comment